Print Page | Close Window

Getting Camera's to work

Printed From: HAI Forums
Category: Snap-Link
Forum Name: Snap-Link Mobile for iPhone
Forum Discription: General Discussions and Tech Support Snap-Link Mobile for iPhone
URL: http://forum.homeauto.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=744
Printed Date: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:39am

Topic: Getting Camera's to work
Posted By: garyslaben
Subject: Getting Camera's to work
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:35pm
Perhaps you can give me some hints as to how to get the cameras to work?  Everything else works just fine.  I loaded a panasonic camera and when I click on it, it doesn't load.  I have the same camera (same URL) working fine on the iphone both thru a direct call of the URL and thru WL3 for Homeserver (which essentially performs the same task). 

thanks.

-------------
Gary Laben

Replies:
Posted By: aaron.ard
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:52pm
Hey Gary,

I'm going to need some more information if you can

1.) What is the URL you are trying to use?
2.) Do you have the camera configured as MJPEG or Panasonic?
3.) What is the model # of the camera?

Just a few things it might be...

If it's panasonic, you only need to enter the address + port into the address field. e.g.
http://192.168.1.1:8008

and set the camera type to panasonic

if you are using the FULL mjpeg query (http://192.168.1.1:8008/nphMotionJpegblahblah...blah) then you should have the camera type set to "MJPEG"

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.
Embedded Systems Engineer

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:08pm
Hi Aaron -

Thanks for the quick reply.  The camera is configured as panasonic.  It's a bb-hcm531.  I am only using the address + port into the address.  I'm using dyndns so the address is something like:  dyndns.address.net:50001

I have other cameras which go thru HAI's analog to ip converters.  When I hook those up, I'll set them as MJPEG and do what you've typed (blah, blah).

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:27pm
Gary,

That camera model only supports JPEG and MPEG, not MJPEG. Try changing the camera type to JPEG, and using this as the address:

http://<servername>:Port/SnapshotJPEG?Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard

It might not be the exact query string you need, but it should be something close to it.

Aaron

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:49pm

Just tried it.  Doesn't seem to work.  when I use the iphone in safari to go to the same address as I set up initially, it works fine. 

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 12:04am
Hey Gary,

I've been looking for a manual for it, but I can't find anything. I did see where on panasonic's website, they say that the jpeg image is only available in 320x240 and 160x120.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Computers-Networking/Network-Cameras/Commercial-IP-Network-Cameras/model.BB-HCM531A_11002_7000000000000005702 - http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Computers-Networking/Network-Cameras/Commercial-IP-Network-Cameras/model.BB-HCM531A_11002_7000000000000005702

Also, when you go to it in safari, do you get the entire webpage of the camera, or just a direct feed?

Can you try

http://<servername>:yourport/SnapshotJPEG?Resolution=320x240&Quality=Standard

in your browser, just to see if it returns an image, then try it in the app?

If that doesn't work, maybe you can PM me the URL to the camera, and I can see what is going on.

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Posted By: circtsplus
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:50am
I have the same problem with the same Panasonic camera BB-HCM531A.......also have tried 2 other Panasonic models with same results.  I am pretty sure that these cameras are MJPEG.  On my iPad, when I enter the local IP plus the port number, and click on the camera, the screen will act like it is going to load a camera and then Snaplink crashes and closes.......when it is reopened, it loads to the home screen.

Any idea when you will do another update that allows more account???  Really a pain when setting up local and remote accounts for each panel and only have 3 accounts available!!

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 12:17pm

Aaron -

Before you suggested it, I loaded 320X240 and still no luck.  But to be clear, I don't get a native shot, I get the entire webpage.  Interestingly, I can manipulate it thru safari, so it works just fine.  But when I use the EXACT SAME URL within WL3 for HS, I get the native feed.  I am happy to share the specific URL, PW, etc. so you can try. 

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 12:56pm
Hey Gary,

I actually just confirmed that the 320x240 URL works on the same exact model at one of our sales guy's house. So it's probably just some small configuration setting that's wrong.

Can you PM me the URL, and username and pw? I'll try it out.

Thanks,

Aaron

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 1:31pm
tried doing the url you suggested above........still same problem......snaplink crashes as closes when a camera is chosen.

did the same url in safari and it works just fine.......did a copy and paste to snaplink, so I know that it is entered the same.

can you do a step by step of what you did to make it work at HAI?

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 1:57pm
circtsplus,

I didn't setup a local and a remote for each account. I was able to just use my remote ip, and setup port forwarding. Works fine, and I don't have to keep switching between accounts. I guess it may depend on your router and how it's configured.

In the next update, I'm going to increase the number of accounts, so you can do either way.

On your camera problem, I think I found the issue. If you are using a username/password, there is a bug that can cause the crash you're seeing. I fixed it and it will be in the next release. In the mean time, try seeing if you can enable guest access, so it doesn't require the username/password.

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 4:43pm

Aaron -

I assume the camera problem reference was to me.  YES, I am using UN and PW.  do you want me to forward my URL, etc. to you or do you believe that this is the issue and I should just wait for the fix/remove UN/PW if I want to view in the meantime?

thanks.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 6:53pm
hey gary,

I think you both might be having the same problem. If you want, go ahead and PM me the information, and I'll make sure that it works, since Apple will probably take a day or two to approve the update.

Aaron

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 9:01am
Gary,

Thanks for the PM. I confirmed that is works, so you'll be good to go with the next release.

Aaron

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 9:28am
That's awesome.  Thanks for the quick response on that.  I assume next release will be soon (a week?) depending on Apple's approval.  did you try various resolutions (e.g. 640X480)

Many thanks.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 10:33am
Gary,

I tried 320x240 and 640x480. Both seemed to work fine. I've fixed the few little things that have come up, if there is nothing else by the end of today, I'm going to go ahead and submit it to apple.

Aaron

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 12:21pm
Aaron,

I am curious how you are able to use just one account for both local and remote access.  I can't seem to make that work when using the local network connection and trying to connect to the system through my dns updater url......wasn't aware that something could be set to allow this to work?

Thanks,

Dave

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 12:28pm
Aaron,

I verified that the camera does work when setting up a guest user.  Can I only view snapshot images, or can I do live video?  Doesn't seem to work unless I enter the url to do a snapshot.

Thanks,

Dave

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 2:21pm
circtsplus,

You're right, it is constantly refreshes the snapshot to give the appearance of live motion video.

I did find a small bug I just fixed, where sometimes it would get a few frames and stop.

I just put in my router's IP address, and setup the port fowarding, and it worked... I'll do some more research into the matter.

Aaron

-------------
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.

Posted By: wmelhome
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 3:03pm
I have a KX-HCM110A and I was having the same problem, but enabling the guest account seems to work. I can now view the live video feed. Thanks for all the info!

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 1:11pm
live feed works great now...........that's for the great work Aaron!

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 5:13pm
Aaron -

The first questions I had in this post a couple months ago were referring to panasonic IP camera's... and the problems are solved.  It was the UN and PW issue.  I am now trying to load my analog camera's which go thru HAI's camera server.  I have them working on WL3 for homeserver where the address is something like:  http://myhouse.myip.net:XXX - http://myhouse.myip.net:XXX where the myhouse.myip.net is the dyndns forwarding address and XXX is the address of the HAI camera server.  I then chose the camera number and I can see the camera just fine in WL3 for homeserver.  I assume that I use the SAME address (and select HAI camera server and the camera number) for Snaplink for iphone....but none of the camera's are loading.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted By: interactive6396
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:20am
The new series of Panasonic cameras are relying heavily on activeX for operation. They have included an MJPEG feed with the /cam switch. I can get the /cam to work with Safari, but it won't work with the 5.7e touch panel.

Print Page | Close Window