Login Login

Can't connect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
arch111507 View Drop Down
Dealer
Dealer

Quote arch111507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't connect
    Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 9:55am
Aaron -

We bought the app for one of my tech's phone two days ago, and still haven't been able to get it to connect to our office system. We've double-checked port settings, OPII is at 3.2 firmware, double-checked the keys, etc. One thing that seems odd is that if you select 'Require Code', there's never an opportunity to enter a code. I'm thinking that maybe doesn't appear until you actually connect? I know there are different versions of iPhones - would that have something to do with it? One of our customers purchased it the same day and appears to be having the same kinds of problems we are. Is there something real basic that we're missing here?

Thanks,
Pete
aaron.ard View Drop Down
HAI - Auto Studio Admin
HAI - Auto Studio Admin

Quote aaron.ard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:16am
Pete,

Are you getting an error message? What exactly is happening? Are you able to "retrieve setup"?

Are you connecting via the internal network (wifi), or are you trying to connect through your router?

If you are using 3g, you need to have your router ip address, and you have to have BOTH tcp AND udp port forwarded.

If you are connecting via WiFi, you'll need to have your local ip address entered.

The most common problem, by far has been that if you are attemping to connect through 3G, most people only have UDP port forwarded in their routers.

If all else fails, you can PM me your controller info, and I'll try to connect from here and see what the problem is.

Aaron

Edit: The "Require Code" is for when you connect... since you are never connecting, you're never seeing it.

Edited by aaron.ard - 02 Jul 2010 at 10:17am
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.
Embedded Systems Engineer
Dealer
Dealer

Quote arch111507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:49pm
Aaron -

I'll try to answer your questions in order...

Yes - we're getting 'Error - Unable to Connect', and No - we can't retrieve setup.

We were trying to connect from outside the office through our router.

We were using 3g, with our router's static ip, and tcp and udp are both forwarded.

n/a (not trying to connect locally)

I'd be happy to send you our info, but I don't have your email...

Thanks,
Pete

aaron.ard View Drop Down
HAI - Auto Studio Admin
HAI - Auto Studio Admin

Quote aaron.ard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 5:41pm
Hey Pete,

I went ahead and sent you my email  via a Private Message. So when you can, just go ahead and send me your controller info.

Can you try to connect on the local network at your office, with your local ip address? If that works, then we can rule out the omni.

Aaron
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.
schilling649746 View Drop Down
Dealer
Dealer

Quote schilling649746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 12:12pm
Hey Aaron,

Last night I downloaded the applet for my iPad and ran through all of the controllers we have set up for remote access for the USB Snap-Link and Dealer PC Access.  One of them was not accessible from the iPhone Snap-Link while it is accessible from both of the other applications.

It's possible that the site's port forwarding was set up only for TCP (not UDP), but I would have thought we would have experienced issues with either the USB Snap-Link and/or Dealer PC Access if that was the case.

I would be glad to send you the controller information through PM for your testing if that would be helpful.

Best,
Peter Schilling

aaron.ard View Drop Down
HAI - Auto Studio Admin
HAI - Auto Studio Admin

Quote aaron.ard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 8:39pm
Peter,

It's almost certainly that you don't have TCP forwarded. SnapLink USB uses only UDP, PCAccess will default to UDP if it can't connect via TCP.

You can test this by looking in the bottom right hand corner of PCAccess, it will tell you how it's connected.

Aaron
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.
Dealer
Dealer

Quote arch111507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 11:43pm
Aaron-

I'm pretty sure that's what it is, too. I talked to my ISP yesterday and he only had that port open for UDP at his end. He opened it up for TCP but I haven't had a chance to get hold of my tech (he's the one with the iPhone) to have him try it again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Pete
schilling649746 View Drop Down
Dealer
Dealer

Quote schilling649746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 12:11pm
Thanks for the quick response(s).

I have checked as you suggested using PC Access, which does connect using UDP.  That being the case, I'm betting I only set UPD to pass through the firewall and not TCP as well.

I'm also very happy to hear that the count of controllers will be increasing to 10.  That is not all of the active controllers we have implemented over the years, but it is a reasonable number.

Thanks,
Peter

Dealer
Dealer

Quote arch111507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 3:09pm
Aaron -

Finally got my tech in here with his phone. We're good now - our ISP only opens up non-standard ports on request, and when we first installed our OmniPro II it was prior to v3, so we only needed the UDP port open.

Thanks for your help!
Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply