Login Login

iPhone app works on LAN, but not WAN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
amdilbert@cox.net View Drop Down
Developer
Developer

Quote amdilbert@cox.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iPhone app works on LAN, but not WAN
    Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 4:43pm
I am very excited to have the new snaplink working on my new iPhone 4!  I set up my app to connect via my LAN, using my internal Wi-Fi connection in my house, and using the LAN IP address of my Omni Pro II.  Works like a charm! Nice job folks!

However, when I turn off my Wi-Fi, and try and connect over my AT&T, through my router, using either the fixed IP address of my router, or my DYNDNS hostname of my router, when I try to receive the settings, the iPhone busy cursor thinks for about 1 minute, and then it stops, without any indication that it succeeded.

As an aside, I have a version of Snap-link for my PC laptop, running through a Sprint cell phone connection, and able to download the settings and control the lights. So, I figured that copying the setup to my iPhone should work flawlessly. But it doesn't.

Before I have my customers jump on this, I need to understand how to make it work for me first!

Any suggestions?
Kind regards,
Andrew

aaron.ard View Drop Down
HAI - Auto Studio Admin
HAI - Auto Studio Admin

Quote aaron.ard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 6:46pm
Andrew,

You most likely are only port forwarding UDP through your router, make sure you are port forwarding both TCP and UDP.

SnapLink uses UDP, where-as the iPhone app uses TCP.

Aaron
Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.
Embedded Systems Engineer
Developer
Developer

Quote amdilbert@cox.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:55pm
Aaron - problem solved. You are correct, I was only port forwarding UDP. When I switched it to both, the system started working.

Nice job! Thanks!
Andrew
Developer
Developer

Quote amdilbert@cox.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:33pm
Okay - now a follow-up question.  In my port forwarding, I was expecting to only have to port forward a single port - 4369. But, I am seeing that the iPhone app, using the AT&T network, is coming in on variable ports. I have seen as low as port 443 to as high as 61,000.  I would prefer to only have to port forward a single port, so that I do not have the entire port range pointed at my security system.

Am I still configured wrong, or is there a limitation to the iPhone app?

Kind regards,
Andrew
aaron.ard View Drop Down
HAI - Auto Studio Admin
HAI - Auto Studio Admin

Quote aaron.ard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:55pm
Andrew,

Whenever a device is connecting to another device over ethernet, each device always has it's Source port, and the Destination port. What we are concerned with is the destination port (which is 4369 by default). The iPhone OS will randomly choose a source port that is available when it makes a connection, but this shouldn't matter because the only thing you need to worry about is instructing your router to "foward" all traffic going to the "destination" port, which is 4369 to the appropriate ip address.

Aaron

P.S. If it's working well, then don't forget to give a review on the app store.

Aaron Ard
Home Automation, Inc.
Embedded Systems Engineer
 Post Reply Post Reply